This will be a personal weekly Top Ten list of what I consider to be the best songs that I listened to the previous week. Most songs will be current, but there are no boundaries. I’ve already stated on this web site that I am obsessed with music. I am constantly hunting it down whether it’s online, on CD, from my personal collection, from a library (Yes, I think the library is a great source of music–especially for music that you aren’t sure about.), TV, or radio. Since most of these sources mostly emphasize new music, the odds are pretty good that most of the songs on this list will be new. But in my search, I don’t use any boundaries for the other sources. I am just looking for good music that I haven’t heard, or happened to forget about. Everyone, including myself, has forgotten way more great music than they can ever remember-even if they are also music fanatics.
Also, there will be no rules concerning songs on this list. A song can show up or drop off a number of times. This will be the most volatile of my lists. It all depends on how much music I am exposed to during the week and what I find interesting. On really obscure stuff, I will try to include the source, if I know it.
Gotye lands on top for a second time and several silly songs make the list for this year’s April Fools Day……..
Top Ten Songs for the Week of April 1, 2012
1. Somebody That I Used to Know—Gotye with Kimbra
2. We Found Love—Rihanna
3. Lights—Ellie Goulding
4. Banjo—Rascal Flatts
5. Dancin’ Away With My Heart—Lady Antebellum
6. Cough Syrup—Young the Giant
7. Sweeter—Gavin DeGraw
8. Dare to Be Stupid—“Weird” Al Yankovic
9. It Should Have Been Me—Commander Cody
10. Do the Mouse—Soupy Sales
1) “Somebody That I Used to Know”—Gotye claws his way back to the top!
2) “We Found Love”—Believe it or not, I hardly heard this Rihanna song at all this week. What an amazing turnaround from the past few weeks! Did someone flip a switch? I mean, it couldn’t have worn out that fast……………..
3) “Lights”—It keeps sneaking up on me!
4) “Banjo”—There is so much about this song that I like. I particularly like the idea of a place that’s so far off the path that GPS and satellites can’t find it. Ah, but that’s the habitat of …the banjo!
5) “Dancin’ Away with My Heart”—Such a whimsical look at “18.”
6) “Cough Syrup”—This will probably be one of my favorite songs this year!
7) “Sweeter”—This Gavin DeGraw song sounds new and retro at the same time. I appreciate someone who can pull this off. One of the hooks reminds me of the progression in Joe Cocker’s “Woman to Woman.” This one is way better than that!
8) “Dare to Be Stupid”—This is “Weird” Al’s own version of the best song Devo never did! The lyrics are sharp and spot-on!
9) “It Should Have Been Me”—A classic song that makes me laugh everytime I hear it! Taken from an even more classic album—if that’s even possible (“Hot Licks, Cold Steel, & Truckers’ Favorites” by Commander Cody), this is a remake of a classic blues song that gets countrified as only they can do it!
10) “Do the Mouse”—Soupy Sales was a comedian who ocasionally ventured into music recordings. Believe it or not, this was his signature “dance” song. Ironically, it has a pretty good Motown pop feel to it, and this release is mixed incredibly well!