This will be a personal weekly Top Ten list of what I consider to be the best songs that I listened to the previous week. Most songs will be current, but there are no boundaries. I’ve already stated on this web site that I am obsessed with music. I am constantly hunting it down whether it’s online, on CD, from my personal collection, from a library (Yes, I think the library is a great source of music–especially for music that you aren’t sure about.), TV, or radio. Since most of these sources mostly emphasize new music, the odds are pretty good that most of the songs on this list will be new. But in my search, I don’t use any boundaries for the other sources. I am just looking for good music that I haven’t heard, or happened to forget about. Everyone, including myself, has forgotten way more great music than they can ever remember-even if they are also music fanatics.
Also, there will be no rules concerning songs on this list. A song can show up or drop off a number of times. This will be the most volatile of my lists. It all depends on how much music I am exposed to during the week and what I find interesting. On really obscure stuff, I will try to include the source, if I know it.
“Endless Love” moves to the top as Carrie Underwood suffers from a nasty fall, Adele returns to the good list, and a spicy Texas Tornados song rounds out this week’s list!
Top Ten Songs for the Week of May 6, 2012
1. Endless Love—Lionel Richie & Shania Twain
2. Banjo—Rascal Flatts
3. Sweeter—Gavin DeGraw
4. Over You—Miranda Lambert
5. Ballad of a Thin Man—Arlen Roth (Levon Helms on drums)
6. Good Girl—Carrie Underwood
7. Dancin’ Away With My Heart—Lady Antebellum
8. Rumour Has It—Adele
9. Casino Royale—Hepb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
10. A Little Bit Is Better Than Nada—Texas Tornados
1) “Endless Love”—I guess you couldn’t keep this song out of the top spot! The first time it was released it stayed at the top for almost three months!
2) “Banjo”—I think the banjo may just be recharging its batteries while other songs knock each other off!
3) “Sweeter”—The lyrics of this song are so wrong but the music makes it sound so right!
4) “Over You”—Miranda Lambert keeps moving up. I’m glad I’m not over this song yet!
5) “Ballad of a Thin Man”—Yay! I’ve heard it again during this last week and it keeps sounding better each time!
6) “Good Girl” —Wow! I didn’t expect to get so tired of this song so fast. Maybe it was the continuous airplay every time I turned anything on!!!
7) “Dancin’ Away with My Heart”—I hope this Lady A song doesn’t dance away too quickly. It already has my heart………..
8) “Rumour Has It”—I haven’t seen a video for this song yet. I don’t even know if there is one, but I look this mid-tempo rocker from Adele!
9) “Casino Royale”—I haven’t hear this Burt Bacharach–Hal David song since Saturday Night Live made fun of it! The arrangement is sharp and catchy and sounds a little bit different from other songs that Herb Alpert and the boys did as they were one of the few bands that battled The Beatles head to head! Listen to the trumpet work on this one. There are a lot of different textures in the song…plus strings!
10) “A Little Bit Is Better Than Nada”— The Texas Tornados twist a cliché into a sexy pun filled song! Freddy Fender, Flaco Jimenez, Augie Myers, and Doug Sahm: Los Mexicanos Beatles to me! A perfect treat for Cinco de Mayo! Ah-ha!!!