This is a weekly Top Ten list of what I consider to be the best songs that I listened to the previous week. Most songs will be current, but there are no boundaries. I’ve already stated on this web site that I am obsessed with music. I am constantly hunting it down whether it’s online, on CD, from my personal collection, from a library (Yes, I think the library is a great source of music–especially for music that you aren’t sure about.), TV, or radio. Since most of these sources mostly emphasize new music, the odds are pretty good that most of the songs on this list will be new. But in my search, I don’t use any boundaries for the other sources. I am just looking for good music that I haven’t heard, or happened to forget about. Everyone, including myself, has forgotten way more great music than they can ever remember-even if they are also music fanatics.
Also, there will be no rules concerning songs on this list. A song can show up or drop off a number of times. This will be the most volatile of my lists. It all depends on how much music I am exposed to during the week and what I find interesting. On really obscure stuff, I will try to include the source, if I know it.
Most of the songs heard on this list have been played on my radio show, “Theme Attic,” heard Wednesdays 12PM-4PM ET!
The show can be heard on WHFR 89.3 FM in the Dearborn-Detroit area of Michigan, or it can be streamed with this link: https://www.whfr.fm/streamer/!
This list forms the basis of my countdown list on the “Top 9 at 2:09” segment of my show on mostly alternating weeks, along with my “Phil’s Faves, Albums” lists!
Here’s a link for the complete history of all the Fave Songs:
There’s plenty of other musical things to browse!
Here’s a link for my weekly Faves Album lists:
Another list that you might find interesting is my list for “The Most Awesomest Songs of the Day”:https://philmaq.com/most-awesomest-songs/!
If you’d like to know what I think are even better than awesome songs, have a look at “The Greatest Songs Ever Recorded”:https://philmaq.com/the-greatest-songs-ever-recorded/! Occasionally, an “awesome song” crosses over to become a “Greatest Song!”
My somewhat unusual Hall of Fame can be explored here:https://philmaq.com/hall-of-fame/!
Lastly, but most importantly, is my Philby Awards link! A Philby is my annual award for outstanding musical achievement! : https://philmaq.com/philbys/!
If you like what you see, don’t forget to spread the word by hitting the “like” button on my Facebook page, Phil Maq!
Jen Sygit’s “I Try” effort helps her reach #1 on this week’s Faves Songs List!
Top Ten Songs for the Week of May 7, 2023
1. I Try —Jen Sygit (It’s About Time) 
2. This Time Has Come —Warriors, Zombies, and Other Joedai Pilgrims with Melanie Hahn—Greene (Joe Peters [Hall of Fame] and Friends (Collaboration) 
3. Faded Rose Prelude/Faded Rose —Joedai Trobairitz and Troubadours with Phil Maq (Joe Peters [Hall of Fame] and Friends) (Beyond Collaboration)
4. Butterfly —Heather Layne (Single) 
5. Connoisseur—Mark Jewett and The Strategic Advisers (The Lucky One) 
6. You Don’t Know —The Rallies (Serve) 
7. Lonesome for a Long Time—Pat Smillie (Lonesome for a Long Time) 
8. Someone to Stay —The Show Ponies (How It All Goes Down) 
9. No More Worries (Oh, Yeah!) —Bones and Jones (Starts at 47:27 in the clip)(Ginger Gold) 
10.River Jordan—Rochelle Clark (In Time) [NE]
Don’t forget to like my Phil Maq page! Thank you!