After playing all of the incredible music for the “Philby Hot 100 Songs of 2019,” (to be posted soon), it’s hard to believe that Philby season is only at the halfway point!
The Philby 100 Best Albums of 2019 Countdown starts this Monday night on “Prime Time Theme Attic” with Phil Maq, from 8PM-10PM EST!!!
However, there should be some reminders for following the Countdown:
- The list covers albums on a sliding four year scale that changes every year. This year the range is 2016-2019.
- I will almost always not post any albums that came out, were given, or sent to me in the second half of the year. I often say that if the albums came out after April, I probably won’t be able to fit it in. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t any later year entries. It’s just that the odds for inclusion go down dramatically the later in the year the music came out.
Let me give an example:
If an album came out in November 2019 and I was given an album from October 2018 that I was unaware of, the result is the same. To me, they both appear to have come out in November 2019 even though they obviously didn’t.
- I feel it is disrespectful to other music that I have received, listened to, and played throughout the year or several years to include “last minute released albums.” I have always detested year end lists in publications that are dated before the album was released, but the publication has three of those albums on their list!(?)
- The list is subjective.
Any list by anybody has biases. I try to make my choices by trying to figure out how close an album is to how close it is to the vision they appeared to present. I am not claiming that my list is the definitive list. However, I am a musician and I have listened to a whole lot of music in the past year, as well as my entire life. I am obsessed with music, more so than a lot of critics, and I feel this allows me the credibility to make those choices.
- As far as I’m concerned, I wish I could list each album as tied for #1!
If you think about the list, I cover a lot of musical styles and genres. If someone were to pick a specific genre, the list, for any given year, does not go very deep in that category. In other words, no matter what number an album is, it probably isn’t much deeper than tenth or maybe fifteenth in a given category.
- And finally, even though I talked about what time of the year when I have received music, I pay special attention to music of the expiring year. That may sound like a contradiction in terms, but it’s not. Often, I have had the music for quite a while but just haven’t been able to fit it onto one of my shows-which is a requirement for Philby consideration, even though I work hard to do so. I also have been known to misplace things, forget things, etc..
I say all of these things not to validate my selections, but to offer more insight into my selection process.
It is a Philby universe, and I just live in it!
As I write this-and I have been working on the 2019 list since January 1, 2019, nothing is completed. Nothing is written in digital stone. It only fills in as I do each show.
Regardless of the final list, the journey will be fun!
I hope and invite you to accompany me on this musical journey, not only during Philby season, but anytime you have the chance to listen throughout the year!
I do a weekly show at WHFR in Dearborn, Michigan:
“Prime Time Theme Attic” on Monday nights from 8PM-10PM ET.
You can hear it locally at 89.3 FM in the Dearborn-Detroit area or use this streaming link:
https://www.whfr.fm/streamer/ (Press the “Listen Live Now” button), RadioFM or ask Alexa to find the show for you!!!
I’d be honored if you check me out some time…and then come back to listen again! You can even ask your friends to listen, too-not only just to my show, but to the wonderful variety of music the DJs at WHFR play!
If you like what you see, don’t forget to spread the word by hitting the “like” button on my Facebook page, Phil Maq!